I was reminded this morning that it is the three-year anniversary of my accident. Truth be told, I hadn’t been thinking at all about the anniversary, and even now it doesn’t mean much. It’s not something I want to celebrate (yah I survived), but neither is it any more depressing than any other day.
I’m not even sure I have any pearls of wisdom to share – lessons learned in three years. But for what it’s worth, here is a random series of thoughts:
- I’m thankful for? Elly and the boys (and Kate) – and all my family, mum and dad (on both sides), Daniel, Troy, Kurt and all their families. my carers (Parvene, Angeline, Stephanie, the lender – and those who come and gone). They’ve walked this journey with me, and it would have been impossible without them.
- I’m inspired by? John Trefry, Sheree Hurley, Don Harrison – people who have lived (and flourished) with SCI for decades.
- I hate? my body, Internet pornography, sexism, – did I mention my body?
- I believe? In God and the power of love and friendship
- I miss? it’s been 1095 days, and not a single one has gone by without me longing for my former life. Mostly, I miss being independent, surfing , wrestling my boys, and other things best not mentioned on a family friendly blog.
- I enjoy? seeing my family succeed and have fun. quality Scotch. Movies that surprise and make you think. Sailing.
- I’m good at? critical thinking, research, and writing (at least, I’m getting better). helping students to open their mind.
- I’m bad at? walking, diplomacy. My wife would say “listening” – I get lost in my own world and fail to realise that Elly has asked me a question.
- I’ve been blessed by? The amazing generosity of people. Just when I needed it, people have blessed me with money, time (Neil), help. I have had work colleagues prepared to get their hands dirty – literally (Andrew, Narelle). People have gone out of their way to include me, my work place especially (Alphacrucis)
- I have learned? patience. As my mother could tell you, I’ve been a horribly impatient person for most of my life– utterly intolerant of lateness and inefficiency. miraculously, though, I have learned to take things in my stride, and not stress too much with the slowness of life with an SCI.
- the vice I’m embarrassed by? if I’m embarrassed by it, why would I tell you?
- the best experience of the last three years? The first time my thumb moved.
- recent moment of hilarity? Elly: “Jacob, can you feed the dog?” 10 minutes later, Shane: “Jacob, can you please make me lunch?” Jacob: “no, I’ve already fed my share of animals today.”
- The meaning of life? a story worth telling, full of Joy in the face of sadness, love eliminating hate, and faith and hope conquering hardship and evil.
I’ll probably think of more once I’ve hit the “post” button, but that’s enough for a meaningless anniversary.